by Dr. Elizabeth W. Davidson
SUGGESTED INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
1. How did you become interested in amphibians?
2. How serious and widespread is the problem of declining populations of amphibians here in this country and elsewhere?
3. What are some of the major causes of these declines?
4. What’s being done to reverse these declines? And how is it working?
5. What’s the most amazing thing you’ve learned about frogs?
6. What can children do to help protect frogs (and other animals and insects)?
7. Where do Chiricahua Leopard Frogs live?
8. In the book, you mention that people brought bullfrogs and crayfish to the pond. Why would they do that? And what can happen when they do?
9. Do you know of any zoos that are doing the type of work you describe in the book?
10. What can parents do to instill in their children a respect for all of nature?
WHAT IS THIS BOOK ABOUT?
Written for children in grades one through four, Cheery: The true adventures of a Chiricahua Leopard Frog helps young readers grasp the serious problems facing amphibians such as Cheery, a Chiricahua Leopard Frog. We know that approximately 40% of frogs and salamanders have disappeared worldwide. The loss of an entire species of frogs (or any animal or insect, for that matter) is not something that just worries scientists. Extinction of a species upsets entire ecosystems.
This book focuses on Cheery, a Chiricahua Leopard Frog tadpole living in a pond. Cheery’s story follows his life history, from egg to tadpole to frog, the problems he and other Leopard Frogs are facing today, and what scientists and others are doing to protect them.
WHAT MAKES THIS BOOK UNIQUE?
- The environmental and ecological problems facing our planet are many and complex, and they can be daunting to young minds. By focusing on a single, engaging frog, however, children will easily grasp the problem and understand and appreciate the solutions that are presented.
- The author is a research scientist at Arizona State University who has devoted the last decade to understanding what is causing the decline in populations of amphibians. By collaborating with other scientists from around the world, significant progress is being made and, hopefully, in time. The young readers of this book are the hope for a better tomorrow for our planet and the creatures that inhabit it.
Funding for this project was provided by Arizona Game and Fish Department
Web site: http://www.CheeryAFrogsTale.com
Retail: $ 15.95
Publisher: Five Star Legends, a division of Five Star Publications, Inc.
Date Published: 2011
8 X 8
Order directly from 5 Star Publications 24 hours a day.
Please note: Books pre-ordered through Five Star Publications will ship 5-7 days after publication. Additional shipping charges may apply to countries outside the US.
Other Online Bookstores:
Paperback Edition from Amazon
Contact us to order bulk quantities of this item.
Download printable form for ordering by fax or mail.
Five Star Publications is grateful to the Arizona Historical Advisory Commission for its official designation of Cheery as an Arizona Centennial Legacy Project. www.azcentennial.gov
About the Contributors